USDOT Number Service

A USDOT number is the unique identifier for a carrier or driver and is used by the FMCSA to monitor safety compliance. 


Companies that operate commercial motor vehicles that transport cargo or passengers across state lines (interstate commerce) must have a unique number issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). This DOT registration number and the carrier’s legal company name must be displayed on both sides of the vehicle.


Apart from the federal regulations, 33 states require their intrastate commercial motor vehicle registrants to obtain a USDOT number. Intrastate transporters of certain types of hazardous materials in quantities requiring a safety permit also need a DOT number.  


Fill out the form below or call 888.473.4638 and our authority experts can assist in obtaining or updating your USDOT Number.

Order Today





Phone icon

Trust the Trucking Authority Experts

We’ll help you obtain, update or correct your USDOT or MC Number.

Motor Carrier (MC) Number

If you’re an interstate, for-hire motor carrier of non-exempt property and passengers, you’re also required to have a motor carrier (MC) number.  


Typically, a motor carrier number is needed when:


  • A carrier transports passengers in interstate commerce (for either direct or indirect compensation)
  • A carrier transports federally-regulated commodities that are either owned by others or arranging for their transport in interstate commerce (for a fee or other compensation)


The FMCSA operating authority can be identified as an "MC", "FF" or "MX" number based on what authority is granted. It's possible that your business may need multiple operating authorities. Contact us and we’ll help you determine what’s needed. If you’re an interstate, for-hire motor carrier of non-exempt property and passengers, you’re also required to have a motor carrier (MC) number.  



Advisor ready to help

New Truck Over 55,000 Pounds?

Don't forget to e-file your IRS Form 2290 for heavy vehicle use tax before the last day of the month following first use.

Just 3 quick, easy steps! Visit  J.J. Keller's website to e-file now.

Use code AUTHORITY today for 15% off your 2290 filing.

Frequently Asked Questions

The definition in §390.5 refers to a vehicle used on a highway, in interstate commerce, that meets any one of the following criteria:

  • has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating (GCWR), or gross vehicle weight (GVW) or gross combination weight (GCW) of 10,001 pounds or more, whichever is greater;
  • is designed to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation;
  • is designed to transport more than 15 passengers (including the driver) and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
  • is transporting hazardous materials in quantities requiring the vehicle to be placarded

All first-time carrier applicants get enrolled in the FMCSA's New Entrant Safety Assurance Program. Under this program, you must pass a safety audit conducted within your first year of operation. In addition, your operation will be closely monitored for compliance at roadside inspections during your 18-month probationary period, after which you'll be given permanent registration status. J. J. Keller can help you prepare for (or respond to)  your new entrant audit.

The following 33 states require intrastate carriers to also obtain a USDOT number:

  • Alabama

  • Alaska

  • Arizona

  • California

  • Colorado

  • Connecticut

  • Florida

  • Georgia

  • Indiana

  • Iowa

  • West Virginia

  • Kansas

  • Kentucky

  • Maine

  • Maryland

  • Michigan

  • Minnesota

  • Missouri

  • Montana

  • New Jersey

  • New York

  • Wisconsin

  • Nebraska

  • North Carolina

  • Ohio

  • Oklahoma

  • Oregon

  • Pennsylvania

  • South Carolina

  • Texas

  • Utah

  • Washington

  • Wyoming

Private carriers who only transport their own cargo, for-hire carriers who only transport exempt commodities that are not federally regulated, and carriers who operate only in geographic territories that are exempt from authority rules.


FREE Keys to Success eBook

Whether you plan to be an over-the-road trucker or use vehicles as part of other work for your business, you need the right authority and credentials to comply with the Department of Transportation (DOT) rules and regulations.

This free, 14-page e-book gives you an easy-to-understand summary of the requirements you must comply with before hitting the road.

You'll learn...

  • What type of business you run (interstate or intrastate, private or for-hire, CMV or non-CMV, etc.)
  • What operating authority you need (USDOT number, MCS-150, UCR, etc.)
  • What vehicle credentials you must have (CMV registration, IRP, IFTA, etc.)
  • How your trucking company will be help accountable (new entrant safety audit, CSA, etc.)

I'd like to learn more!

Talk with a Compliance Specialist today at: 888-473-4638 or fill out the form and we'll contact you.

(Note: * indicates required information.)

(If not a business, please enter your Full Name in the Company Name field)

Please use numeric characters only

By clicking 'submit' you are confirming that you read and are agreeing to the terms & conditions.