MCS-150 Update Service

The Motor Carrier Identification Report (MCS-150) must be filed biennially (every two years) by all motor carriers operating commercial motor vehicles as defined in §390.5, and intermodal equipment providers operating in interstate commerce. Old or incorrect MCS-150 information can have serious consequences for your business and your Unsafe Driving and Crash BASIC scores.

Avoid the consequences — and the hassles — by letting us handle the filing for you!

Fill out our MCS-150 form below and a Regulatory Advisor will contact you.

Learn More

MCS-150 Biennial Filing Schedule

The biennial filing schedule is determined by your USDOT number. If the next-to-last digit of your USDOT number is odd, your update must be filed in every odd-numbered calendar year. If the next-to-last digit of your USDOT number is even, your update must be filed in every even-numbered calendar year. The last digit of your USDOT number determines the month to file in. Use this chart to determine when during the year you need to file:

If your USDOT number ends in:Must file by the last day of:

A carrier may also submit an update at any other time but then must also file the scheduled biennial updates.

Worker going through papers

Not sure when to file? Our Regulatory Advisors can help.

Call today at 888.473.4638 for a no-obligation discussion!

Learn More
A fleet of trucks parked

Frequently Asked Questions

The full name of the MCS-150 form is “Motor Carrier Identification Report.” It is a form to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) as a regulated entity.

An MCS-150 form must be submitted before the carrier begins operations and every 24 months or biennially.

  • The FMCSA’s preference is that the form be submitted electronically.

    • J.J. Keller's experts can handle your MCS-150 form quickly and easily! Call 888.473.4638

  • The form may also be scanned or completed electronically and submitted as a webform. A tracking number will be provided.

  • The form can be faxed to: 202-366-3477

  • If a carrier has no electronic means available, the MCS-150 can be mailed to:

    Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

    Office of Registration and Safety Information

    Room W65-206

    Attn:  Registration and Licensing Team

    1200 New Jersey Avenue SE

    Washington, DC 20590

The definition in §390.5 refers to a vehicle used on a highway, in interstate commerce, that meets any one of the following criteria:

  • Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating (GCWR), or gross vehicle weight (GVW) or gross combination weight (GCW) of 10,001 pounds or more, whichever is greater;

  • is designed to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation;

  • is designed to transport more than 15 passengers (including the driver), and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

  • is transporting hazardous materials in quantities requiring the vehicle to be placarded.

There are two other MCS-150 forms, the MCS-150B and the MCS-150C, that are to be used only in certain circumstances. The MCS-150B is the combination Motor Carrier Identification Report and FMCSA Safety Permit Application. The MCS-150B is required instead of the MCS-150 only if an intrastate or interstate carrier is transporting the type and quantity of hazardous materials listed in 49 CFR §385.403 that requires a Hazardous Material Safety Permit (HMSP).

The MCS-150C Intermodal Equipment Provider Identification Report is required for intermodal equipment providers subject to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs). An intermodal equipment provider supplies intermodal equipment, such as chassis and containers, to a carrier.

No, the FMCSA will not contact you via a third-party for payment of your MCS-150. Read more about companies posing as governement agencies. 

You can update your USDOT number more frequently than every two years. In fact, it’s generally advised you update more frequently. Keeping your data current helps paint an accurate picture of your operation when being compared to other carriers under the Compliance Safety Accountability (CSA) program. Your vehicle miles traveled along with your vehicle count are used to determine your Crash and Unsafe Driving BASICS measures under the program. If your vehicle counts or mileage increase, you’ll want to submit an update to ensure a true representation of your “at bats.” If you’re fleet is decreasing in size, you’ll also want to update your MCS-150’s vehicle count since the number reflected is the starting point to determine your fee bracket for the Unified Carrier Registration (UCR).

The Hazardous Material Safety Permit (HMSP) program is reserved for haulers of very dangerous materials. The permit is issued after an MCS-150B, is filed with the FMCSA. Not all hazardous material haulers need a HMSP.

Section 385.403 outlines which carriers must obtain the permit:

  • Radioactive Materials: A highway route-controlled quantity of Class 7 material;

  • Explosives: More than 55 pounds of explosives (Division 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3), or an amount of a Division 1.5 – also an explosive – that requires placarding;

  • Toxic by Inhalation Materials:

    • More than one liter (1.08 quarts) per package of Hazard Zone A;
    • Bulk packaging (i.e. capacity greater than 119 gallons) of Hazard Zone B;
    • Containers with a capacity of 3,500 gallons of Hazard Zone C or of Hazard Zone D; or
  • Compressed or refrigerated liquefied methane or liquefied natural gas, or other liquefied gas with a methane content of at least 85 percent, in bulk packaging of 3,500 gallons or more.

The “Toxic by Inhalation Materials” hazard zones represent the amount of gas that is considered a lethal concentration. There are four zones with hazard zone “A” being the most lethal and hazard zone “D,” the least.

There are no fees directly tied to the permit application process. If a carrier has a good safety rating, it is relativity easy to obtain the HMSP, however, it is much more difficult to give one up. The MCS-150B only has two options – applying for an initial permit and requesting a renewal.

The insurance or financial responsibility amounts that are required for a HMSP are either $1,000,000 or $5,000,000 depending on the quantity and material.

More FAQs

I'd like to learn more!

Talk with a Compliance Specialist today at: 888-473-4638 or fill out the form and we'll contact you.

Thank You!

Thank you for your interest! A Compliance Specialist will contact you soon regarding your request or you can contact us at 888-473-4638

Sorry, there was an issue in submitting the form. Please resubmit your information.


(Note: * indicates required information.)

(If not a business, please enter your Full Name in the Company Name field)

By making this request you agree to the J. J. Keller Terms of Use. For information about how we use any personal information we collect for our own purposes, please review our Notice at Collection.

You entered an unknown address:

You didn't enter enough information.