PHMSA Hazardous Material Registration Service

All for-hire and private carriers transporting placardable amounts of hazardous materials, including hazardous wastes, must complete this registration annually. Administered by the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), the program requires you to have a current certificate of registration before you offer or transport hazmat requiring registration.

Let our team handle all of the paperwork for you.

Fill out the form below or call 888.473.4638 and our authority experts can assist in PHMSA Hazardous Material Registration.

Learn More

Who Must Register with PHMSA?

You must register if you offer for transportation or transport in commerce a shipment containing any of the following categories of hazardous materials (including hazardous wastes):

  1. A highway route controlled quantity of a Class 7 (radioactive) material, as defined in 49 CFR 173.403. A “highway route controlled quantity” may be shipped by highway, rail, air, or water.

  2. More than 25 kilograms (55 pounds) of a Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 (explosive) material (see 49 CFR 173.50) in a motor vehicle, rail car, or freight container.

  3. More than one liter (1.06 quarts) per package of a material extremely toxic by inhalation (that is, a “material poisonous by inhalation” that meets the criteria for “hazard zone A” as specified in 49 CFR 173.116(a) for gases or 173.133(a) for liquids).

  4. A hazardous material (including hazardous wastes) in a bulk packaging having a capacity equal to or greater than 13,248 liters (3,500 gallons) for liquids or gases or more than 13.24 cubic meters (468 cubic feet) for solids. Please note that a person that offers or transports a hazardous material in a bulk packaging with a capacity greater than 3,500 gallons or 468 cubic feet must register, even if placards are not required (for example, a Class 9 material).

  5. A shipment in other than a bulk packaging of 2,268 kilograms (5,000 pounds) gross weight or more of one class of hazardous materials (including hazardous wastes) for which placarding of a vehicle, rail car, or freight container is required for that class.

  6. A quantity of hazardous material that requires placarding.


Frequently Asked Questions

Each registration year is the one-year period from July 1 to June 30. The completed registration statement and payment must be submitted before July 1, or before engaging in any of the activities requiring registration, whichever is later.


The following entities are excepted by statute or regulation:

  1. Agencies of the Federal government.

  2. Agencies of states.

  3. Agencies of political subdivisions of states.

  4. Indian tribes.

  5. Employees of those entities listed above who offer or transport hazardous materials as part of their official duties.

  6. Hazmat employees, including the owner-operator of a motor vehicle who transports hazardous materials in commerce if that vehicle, at the time of those activities, is leased to a registered motor carrier under a 30-day or longer lease as prescribed in 49 CFR Part 376 or an equivalent contractual agreement.

  7. A person who offers hazardous materials for transportation to the United States (U.S.) solely from locations outside of the U.S., when that person:

    1. is domiciled outside the U.S., in a country that does not impose registration or a fee on U.S. companies for offering hazardous materials into that country, and

    2. does not transport hazardous materials to, within, or from the United States in the types and quantities that require registration.

  8. A farmer who offers or transports only hazardous materials that are used in direct support of his or her farming operations and who is not engaged in activities included in Categories 1 through 5 described in “Who must register?” above

There are separate requirements for on board the vehicle and in the principle place of business:

On Board: Motor carriers must have a copy on board of the current certificate of registration (or another document bearing the current year’s registration number identified as the “U.S. DOT Hazmat Reg. No.”) as proof of registration.

Principle Place of Business: Copies of the registration statement and the certificate of registration must be kept at the principle place of business for three years and must be available for inspection if requested.

More FAQs

I'd like to learn more!

Talk with a Compliance Specialist today at: 888-473-4638 or fill out the form and we'll contact you.

Thank You!

Thank you for your interest! A Compliance Specialist will contact you soon regarding your request or you can contact us at 888-473-4638

Sorry, there was an issue in submitting the form. Please resubmit your information.


(Note: * indicates required information.)

(If not a business, please enter your Full Name in the Company Name field)

By making this request you agree to the J. J. Keller Terms of Use. For information about how we use any personal information we collect for our own purposes, please review our Notice at Collection.

You entered an unknown address:

You didn't enter enough information.