USDOT Number Lookup/ MC Number Check

Need to lookup a DOT number or perform a MC number check? We can help you out.

To search for a MC number, go to the SAFER FMCSA website and search by DOT number, MC number or company name.

The company shapshot can verify the following information:

  • USDOT Number
  • Name
  • Address & Phone Number
  • State Carrier ID Number
  • Operating Status

You can also check for:

  •  Company's Crash Records
    • Fatal
    • Injury 
    • Tow
  • Company's Safety Rating 
    • Satisfactory
    • Conditional
    • Unsatisfactory

Want to obtain your for-hire DOT authority?

Contact J. J. Keller today to get started!

Call 888.473.4638

Frequently Asked Questions: USDOT Number

Contact one of J.J. Keller DOT experts to secure a USDOT number at 888-473-4638 or fill out the form below.

Our experts can also help you with Authority MonitoringUCR Filings and IFTA/IRP Set Up.

It serves as a company identifier for the DOT when collecting and monitoring safety information.

If you meet any of the following requirements, you must register for a USDOT Number:

  • You’re an interstate motor carrier


  • You operate a motor vehicle with a GVWR of 10,001+ pounds or
  • You operate a motor vehicle designed to transport 8+ passengers (including driver) for compensation or
  • You operate a motor vehicle designed to transport 15+ passengers (including driver) for no compensation
  • You’re transporting hazardous materials that require a placard. (This regulation applies for interstate AND intrastate carriers)

Many states also require you to get a USDOT number to operate in interstate commerce, the following 33 states require intrastate carriers to also obtain a USDOT number:

  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • West Virginia
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Wisconsin
  • Nebraska
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wyoming

  • Your company’s Employer Identification (EIN), tax identification number, if you already created a company, or your Social Security number if you are acting as an individual.
  • Your company’s officers names and their titles
More FAQs

Trust the Trucking Authority Experts

We’ll help you obtain, update or correct your USDOT and/or MC Number.

Frequently Asked Questions: MC Number

Interstate for-hire motor carriers are issued a motor carrier number, also referred to as the "MC number". The MC number is issued with interstate operating authority, and is necessary before conducting interstate for-hire motor carriage. Federal operating authority requires no renewal; it remains valid as long as the carrier maintainer proper insurance and conducts business in compliance with Federal and State requirements.

A motor carrier number is needed when:

  • A carrier transports passengers in interstate commerce (for a fee or other compensation either direct or indirect)
  • A carrier transports federally-regulated commodities that are either owned by others or arranging for their transport in interstate commerce (for a fee or other compensation)

The FMCSA operating authority can be identified as an "MC", "FF" or "MX" number based on what authority is granted. It's possible that your business may need multiple operating authorities.

Our experts can also help you with Authority MonitoringUCR Filings and IFTA/IRP Set Up.

Federal operating authority is required for all interstate motor carriers, regardless of size/weight of vehicle, providing for-hire motor vehicle transportation of passengers and regulated commodities. There is no minimum weight allowing operation without FMCSA authority; vehicles of any weight providing interstate for-hire motor carriage must comply.

There are several types of federal authority – for-hire carrier authority, for-hire passenger, broker, household goods carrier – the list goes on. The type of authority needed will depend largely on the type of motor carrier you are.

Private carriers, however, transporting their own goods in their own vehicles, in furtherance of a primary business other than trucking, and interstate for-hire carriers transporting commodities designated as “exempt” are not subject to federal operating authority.

An "Authority to Operate", also called an MC Number (MC, FF or MX) can be confusing to obtain. Many questions need to be addressed such as - who needs an MC number, what are the costs, what type of authority is needed or what are the application steps.

If you are a first-time applicant, you will need to register with the FMCSA.

If you are an exisiting carrier, you can add another MC authority type by applying online at FMCSA.

You can also contact one of J.J. Keller DOT experts to secure a MC number at 888-473-4638 or fill out the form below.

More FAQs

I'd like to learn more!

Talk with a Compliance Specialist today at: 888-473-4638 or fill out the form and we'll contact you.

Thank You!

Thank you for your interest! A Compliance Specialist will contact you soon regarding your request or you can contact us at 888-473-4638

Sorry, there was an issue in submitting the form. Please resubmit your information.


(Note: * indicates required information.)

(If not a business, please enter your Full Name in the Company Name field)

By making this request you agree to the J. J. Keller Terms of Use. For information about how we use any personal information we collect for our own purposes, please review our Notice at Collection.

You entered an unknown address:

You didn't enter enough information.