Authority Insights

What You Need To Know About AB 5

On June 30, 2022, the California Trucking Association (CTA) was denied its request to have the U.S. Supreme Court hear its case about the state’s AB 5 contractor law and the residual impact that this law has on motor carriers and independent commercial drivers.

Proof is required to register under IRP

The International Registration Plan (IRP) requires that you provide a physical address for your established place of business. This means that you own, lease, or rent a physical structure that is designated by a street name or road. Jurisdictions require proof of this before they can set up an IRP account for your operations.

CMV Registration

All CMVs must be legally registered so states can be compensated to maintain the highway infrastructure those vehicles operate on. Registration can mean a state base plate, a restricted plate or an International Registration Plan (IRP)-apportioned plate.

Does The CSA Program Apply To You?

CSA which stands for Compliance Safety Accountability, is a driver in carrier monitoring an evaluation system that's designed to identify and intervene with drivers and carriers who are not in compliance with safety regulations.

Insurance is Required Before Operation 

Motor carrier insurance is designed to spread the financial risk across many carriers. If the weight fell only to carriers that had an accident, often those affected by the resulting damage awards could not continue to operate.

Obtaining DOT Authority

In this article we’ll discuss the steps to obtain DOT authority. Before we do though, let’s define what “having ‘authority’ means.” To some, having or getting authority means to obtain an interstate USDOT number. That’s not necessarily incorrect.

USDOT Number Triggers New Entrant Audit


August 11, 2021

When a carrier registers with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) they receive a new USDOT number. But they also receive a figurative red flag to wave that says, “Hey look at me, I’m regulated now!”

Reasons You May Need to Reactivate Your DOT Number


July 28, 2021

There are several reasons a carrier or individual may need to “reactivate” their USDOT number. Often, the reason is tied to the reason the number was deactivated in the first place.

Do You Have a Permit for That?


July 15, 2021

A private intrastate company with a large box truck receives a plea to move some items for a related company across the state line. This is no freebie; the move will pay handsomely and the truck can be made available. “Should be no problem,” states the owner, “I just need to get some permits for the move.” Simple enough, or is it? Making some calls, the owner finds several problems that will likely cause the potential revenue opportunity to evaporate like a puddle in the summer heat.

Roadside Inspections and Your Authority


June 23, 2021

Roadside inspections are not the most enjoyable times for drivers. Drivers may view the process as a waste of their day and a few drivers see it as an intrusion of their privacy. During a normal year, there are over 3.5 million roadside inspections conducted in the United States.

FMCSA's Emergency Action Required Notice


May 13, 2021

Have you recently received a letter from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) stating that "Immediate Action" is required because your delegation process agent is no longer valid? 

Should We Have Interstate Authority?


April 14, 2021

Carriers that conduct trade, traffic, or transportation exclusively in their business's home state are considered intrastate carriers. Intrastate carriers are prohibitied from engaging in interstate transportation within the borders of their own state. 

Do I Need a Process Agent?


March 11, 2021

Before the conversation of who needs a process agent, the term itself needs to be defined. The agent for service of process is the carrier's "statutory agent." An agent needs to be located in each state the carrier operates in. The agent functions as a conduit between the legal systems and the entity. 

Registering with the FMCSA: What is an MCS-150?


February 19, 2021

Since the end of 2015, the MCS-150 form is used to update a company's registration with the FMCSA. Prior to this date, it was also used to obtain a new USDOT number. This form's designation itself doesn't mean much. The "MCS" stands for "motor carrier services" and the 150 is simply a designation.

Top 4 Reasons You're Being Audited


January 18, 2021

New carriers are monitored closely for safety and compliance. New entrant carriers are monitored for 18 months. Every carrier that obtains a new interstate USDOT number will undergo a safety audit. Safety audits are not the only way to come under the watchful eyes of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). 

Do I need Interstate or Intrastate Authority?

Having "authority" is often thought of as having a USDOT number, but it's more than that. Interstate authority is the ability to move property or people that belong to somebody else for compensation. 

Applying for a USDOT Number: What You Need to Know

Applying for a USDOT can be intimidating. It is essentially raising your hand and saying, "I need to be regulated." If printed, the form to apply for a new USDOT number is over 30 pages broken into 12 sections covering over 60 data entry areas. The complexity causes much confusion, below are five considerations. 

4 Tips for a Successful Merger or Acquisition 

1. The Deal is the Deal - Structure the deal with the end in mind. 

Understandably there's a lot to consider when structuring a merger or acquisition. When done right the professional help of attorney's and accountants are brought in upfront to help structure the "deal."

Who Needs DOT Authority (MC Number)?

Some think of authority as having a USDOT number, but it's more than that, in interstate transportation it is the ability to move product or property that belongs to someone else for compensation. Having authority is often referred to as having an MC Number.