Trucking Authority News and Articles

IRP Ballot Highlights Compliance Gaps

May 2, 2024

In order to gauge the support for the adoption of mandated electronic logging devices (ELDs) and telematics as crucial elements in the International Registration Plan (IRP) renewal process, the Washington, D.C. Department of Motor Vehicles is sponsoring a formal ballot.

Keep Reading

FMCSA Phishing Alert: Fake Safety Audit

February 21, 2024

According to High Phishing Alert from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), an email is being sent to registered entities by someone pretending to be FMCSA and notifying that you need to schedule a safety audit.

Keep Reading

7 Ways to Show Drivers Some Love

February 8, 2024

As Valentine's Day approaches, fleet managers have a unique opportunity to show appreciation and "love" to their drivers. Recognizing the hard work and dedication of drivers not only boosts morale but also fosters a positive work environment. Here are some tips for fleet managers to show love to their drivers.

Keep Reading

License and Permit Checklist for Starting a Trucking Company

January 23, 2024

Setting up your USDOT number and operating authority (both interstate and intrastate in many cases) is only the beginning when starting a trucking company. Once those are in place, the next phase of licensing, registration, and permitting begins.

Keep Reading

Storm-Proof Your Drivers: 10 Essential Winter Weather Driving Tips

January 4, 2024

Conditions can change quickly, so being prepared for what Mother Nature throws at us can make the difference when it comes to safe travel. The following are ten guidelines drivers should follow when on the road during hazardous winter weather.

Keep Reading

CARB Delays Registration Requirements for Two New Programs

January 3, 2024

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) has announced delays in the reporting requirements for two of their programs, the Clean Truck Check and Advanced Clean Fleet programs.

Keep Reading

CARB Announces Truck Registration and Fees for 2024

November 22, 2023

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) has officially announced that vehicles subject to the Heavy-Duty Inspection and Maintenance regulation (HD I/M regulation), now called the Clean Truck Check regulation, must report their vehicles to CARB and pay the 2024 annual compliance fee by December 31, 2023.

Keep Reading

4 Steps to Counting Your Vehicles Under UCR

November 14, 2023

Qualifying for a lower fee category under the Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) program can result in significant savings. However, it may also wave a yellow flag for auditors, so it’s important to get it right. With enrollment now open for 2024, now’s the time to check your numbers.

Keep Reading

New Entrant Process

October 18, 2023

Becoming a new carrier is not as simple as requesting a USDOT number and beginning operations. There is well defined process that must be followed. The necessary steps are aptly named by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) as “The New Entrant Process.” To be successful through the process the new carrier must demonstrate compliance and pass a final exam in the form of an audit.

Keep Reading

Is UCR Required in Every State?

October 12, 2023

The Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) Board noted at a meeting in 2022 that carriers from “non-participating states” are the source of many UCR violations. Even if your company is based in a non-participating state, you may still need to register under the program.

Keep Reading

Intrastate Carriers: UCR is Not For You

September 18, 2023

Getting a trucking operation up and running is complicated enough. Trying to discern which requirements do not apply to your operation can make it even more confusing. One example: Unified Carrier Registration (UCR).

Keep Reading

Carriers to Pay Lower UCR Fees for 2024

August 24, 2023

For the 2024 Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) year, expect to pay around 9 percent less in fees than you paid for 2023. Under a recent final rule, reductions vary between $4 and $3,453 per company, depending on the number of vehicles owned or operated.

Keep Reading

What You Need To Know About AB-5

August 5, 2022

On June 30, 2022, the California Trucking Association (CTA) was denied its request to have the U.S. Supreme Court hear its case about the state’s AB 5 contractor law and the residual impact that this law has on motor carriers and independent commercial drivers.

Keep Reading

Proof is Required to Register Under IRP

May 12, 2022

The International Registration Plan (IRP) requires that you provide a physical address for your established place of business. This means that you own, lease, or rent a physical structure that is designated by a street name or road. Jurisdictions require proof of this before they can set up an IRP account for your operations.

Keep Reading

CMV Registration

March 22, 2022

All CMVs must be legally registered so states can be compensated to maintain the highway infrastructure those vehicles operate on. Registration can mean a state base plate, a restricted plate or an International Registration Plan (IRP)-apportioned plate.

Keep Reading

Does The CSA Program Apply To You?

January 28, 2022

CSA which stands for Compliance Safety Accountability, is a driver in carrier monitoring an evaluation system that's designed to identify and intervene with drivers and carriers who are not in compliance with safety regulations.

Keep Reading

Insurance is Required Before Operation

November 17, 2021

Motor carrier insurance is designed to spread the financial risk across many carriers. If the weight fell only to carriers that had an accident, often those affected by the resulting damage awards could not continue to operate.

Keep Reading

Obtaining DOT Authority

October 18, 2021

In this article we’ll discuss the steps to obtain DOT authority. Before we do though, let’s define what “having ‘authority’ means.” To some, having or getting authority means to obtain an interstate USDOT number. That’s not necessarily incorrect.

Keep Reading

USDOT Number Triggers New Entrant Audit

August 11, 2021

When a carrier registers with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) they receive a new USDOT number. But they also receive a figurative red flag to wave that says, “Hey look at me, I’m regulated now!”

Keep Reading

Reasons You May Need to Reactivate Your DOT Number

July 28, 2021

There are several reasons a carrier or individual may need to “reactivate” their USDOT number. Often, the reason is tied to the reason the number was deactivated in the first place.

Keep Reading

Do You Have a Permit For That?

July 15, 2021

A private intrastate company with a large box truck receives a plea to move some items for a related company across the state line. This is no freebie; the move will pay handsomely and the truck can be made available. “Should be no problem,” states the owner, “I just need to get some permits for the move.” Simple enough, or is it? Making some calls, the owner finds several problems that will likely cause the potential revenue opportunity to evaporate like a puddle in the summer heat.

Keep Reading

Roadside Inspections and Your Authority

June 23, 2021

Roadside inspections are not the most enjoyable times for drivers. Drivers may view the process as a waste of their day and a few drivers see it as an intrusion of their privacy. During a normal year, there are over 3.5 million roadside inspections conducted in the United States.

Keep Reading

FMCSA's Emergency Action Required Notice

May 13, 2021

Have you recently received a letter from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) stating that "Immediate Action" is required because your delegation process agent is no longer valid?

Keep Reading

Should We Have Interstate Authority?

April 14, 2021

Carriers that conduct trade, traffic, or transportation exclusively in their business's home state are considered intrastate carriers. Intrastate carriers are prohibited from engaging in interstate transportation within the borders of their own state.

Keep Reading

Do I Need a Process Agent?

March 11, 2021

Before the conversation of who needs a process agent, the term itself needs to be defined. The agent for service of process is the carrier's "statutory agent." An agent needs to be located in each state the carrier operates in. The agent functions as a conduit between the legal systems and the entity.

Keep Reading

Registering with the FMCSA: What is an MCS-150?

February 19, 2021

Since the end of 2015, the MCS-150 form is used to update a company's registration with the FMCSA. Prior to this date, it was also used to obtain a new USDOT number. This form's designation itself doesn't mean much. The "MCS" stands for "motor carrier services" and the 150 is simply a designation.

Keep Reading

Top 4 Reasons You're Being Audited

January 18, 2021

New carriers are monitored closely for safety and compliance. New entrant carriers are monitored for 18 months. Every carrier that obtains a new interstate USDOT number will undergo a safety audit. Safety audits are not the only way to come under the watchful eyes of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).

Keep Reading

Do I Need Interstate or Intrastate Authority?

Having "authority" is often thought of as having a USDOT number, but it's more than that. Interstate authority is the ability to move property or people that belong to somebody else for compensation.

Keep Reading

Applying for a USDOT Number: What You Need to Know

Applying for a USDOT can be intimidating. It is essentially raising your hand and saying, "I need to be regulated." If printed, the form to apply for a new USDOT number is over 30 pages broken into 12 sections covering over 60 data entry areas. The complexity causes much confusion, below are five considerations.

Keep Reading

4 Tips for a Successful Merger or Acquisition

Need help maneuvering you merger or acquisition? Check out our top four tips and how J. J. Keller can handle the operating authority for your merger or acquisition quickly and easily.

Keep Reading

Who Needs DOT Authority (MC Number)?

Some think of authority as having a USDOT number, but it's more than that, in interstate transportation it is the ability to move product or property that belongs to someone else for compensation. Having authority is often referred to as having an MC Number.

Keep Reading